Skip to main content

Week 2 Story: Loudmouth

Matthew was running faster than he knew he could. The house seemed to go on forever, and he had no idea where his friend had gone. "If I find Josh I'm going to kick his ass", he muttered to himself. "I can't believe he roped me into exploring another haunted house". 

Matthew had known Josh for quite a long time. Josh was the quiet kid who always got great grades, but was secretly a thrill chaser. Matthew, however, was known to be kind of a troublemaker in school. Teachers always got onto him about talking too much, or not turning in his homework. The two became close friends after they discovered a shared interest in all things supernatural. It turned out though, that Matthew was actually quite a scaredy-cat compared to Josh. Josh would find nearby abandoned buildings for the two to explore in search of ghosts. Every trip before this one had been exactly the same. They explore the house for a while, find some minorly creepy items, try to contact the ghosts, then leave disappointed but unharmed. This time, however, they had angered something. 

As Matthew rounded the corner into the kitchen, he swore he could hear whatever was chasing him slow down. Matthew leaped into the closest bedroom and found his friend hiding in the closet. "What the hell Josh!", Matthew exclaimed. Josh quickly tried to silence Matthew but to no avail. "First you convince me to come with you again, then you run off without me when things go wrong!?". Josh knew that he had to stay quiet, or else the ghost would find them. Matthew however was too caught up in his anger to realize what he was doing and soon, the ghost found him. Josh escaped soon after, totally in shock, but happy to be alive.

The Haunted House Wikipedia Commons


Author's Note: After reading "The Turtle and the Geese", I knew I wanted to rewrite the story in a completely different context while keeping the message alive. I ended up deciding on a horror story after thinking about different situations in which a character with a loud mouth could end up in trouble. It was also important to me that the loudmouth character is aware of the consequences of performing such action before they are in danger.

Source: "The Turtle and The Geese" from Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt.

Comments

  1. Hey Jacob! I really enjoyed this story. The dialogue is perfect; it sounds just like a conversation between two long-time friends. I also really like stories where the rewrite is completely different from the original because it feels more like a new story where I have no idea what will happen. I am not a big horror fan, so I would never be one to explore an abandoned building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jacob!

    I thought you did a great job with your re-interpretation of “The Turtle and The Geese.” I am not a fan of horror stories but this one kept me intrigued. I especially liked the part where Matthew finds Josh and then decided to rant to him in the middle of a haunted house. Like whom does that? I enjoyed the part where you mentioned that they are in a haunted house but noticed that you did not mention any spooky details regarding the haunted house. Perhaps, a black cat could have scurried by and scared Matthew or the walls were oozing blood. I liked the character of the ghost but was there something from its past that you triggered into making it mad? I was slightly confused at the end as to what happened to Matthew. Perhaps, if you explained that the ghost took him or dragged him away while Matthew was screaming, it would definitely add to the story. I definitely loved the story; however, you would never see me going to explore a haunted house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Jacob the Entrepreneur

 My name is Jacob and I am a Sophomore majoring in Economics. I'm from the Texas Hill country (a place called Bulverde, just north of San Antonio) however I was born in El Paso. Despite growing up near both the University of Texas and Texas A&M, I am actually a lifelong OU fan. My parents and grandparents were all fans of either of the other two schools, but I held my ground. My grandma would always tell me "you'll probably change your mind several times as you got older", but I knew that I wanted to be a Sooner. Originally, I had planned on majoring in Biology and eventually (hopefully) going to medical school. But my interests rapidly changed over my freshman year at OU. Growing up, I had always been very close to my Dad and I looked up to him in many ways. He was a very hard worker and an entrepreneur. His most successful business was, and is, a custom home company named J Taylor Custom Homes, named after me (also check us out at JTaylorCustomHomes.com ). As I

Comment Wall

  Check out my Portfolio!:     Jacob's Portfolio Pixabay

Week 5 Story: Hanuman's Leap

 Hanuman was having a largely peaceful afternoon surrounded by his fellow monkeys. Having just stopped his chaotic brother Vali from antagonizing Sugriva, he deserved it. Shortly after, Sugriva fetched Hanuman and told him that two strangers were approaching and that he should go check them out to make sure that they aren't coming to cause trouble. He then met Rama and Lakshma who said that they wanted to speak to Sugriva. Thrilled that they weren't dangerous or evil, he carried them on his shoulders to meet Sugriva. Rama and Sugriva agree to help each other and they go off to kill Vati. Later, Sugriva is crowned king of Kishkindha. It was now his turn to hold up his end of the deal. Sugriva gathered Hanuman and the monkeys and sectioned them off into groups. He sent the groups into the four directions to look for Sita and report back. Hanuman went to the south along with Angada, and Jambavan.  Hanuman and the southern search party soon reached the beach. They were all very ups