Skip to main content

Week 12 Story - SHAZAM!

 Billy Batson once again found himself in a familiar situation. He was running through the snow-covered streets of Chicago, taking random turns as his bullies chased him. The bullies in question were the Colson brothers, a nasty duo known for picking on the less fortunate kids at school. Following their previous encounters, Billy tried to avoid conflict and lay low at school, but when he saw the Colson brothers picking on a new student and a fellow orphan, he felt he had to intervene. 

Billy knew that if he could just make it to the subway station he could easily lose them. So, he took a hard right turn down the alley between Herbert's Diner and Walgreen's, jumping over fences and dodging the trash bags laying on the ground. He weaved his way through the crowd of people making their way down the subway steps and jumped onto the handrail, sliding his way down. Once at the bottom, he took a quick look behind him only to see the Colson brothers rampaging their way down the Subway steps. He turned and ran towards the closest waiting train and leaped on. 

It wasn't until Billy had the chance to catch his breath that he realized that the train was totally empty aside from himself. For such a busy city this was obviously bizarre. Billy, however, didn't dwell on this realization as he was just happy to be out of danger. Before Billy could enjoy the peace and quiet for too long, the train launched forward, throwing Billy to the ground. Billy had taken the train for years, and never had he seen it move at this speed. The lights began to flicker and the air began to cool as the train continued to pick up speed. The lights then completely went out and all sound ceased. When the lights came back on, the train was stopped and the doors were all open. Billy cautiously peeked outside only to see a vast, dimly lit, cave system. Billy, being the curious and brave boy that he was, walked out and started to look around. The cave looked otherwordly. The walls appeared to sparkle and emanate a very faint glow. There was a thick fog or smoke hanging low to the ground which only added to the mysterious atmosphere. 

As Billy rounded the first turn, he came upon a massive room with huge pillars on either side and statues of what looked liked demons. In the back of the room were seven chairs arranged in a semi-circle. Sitting in the center chair, all alone, was a very tall man in a robe holding a staff. Billy was in utter disbelief at the sight before him. Yet he kept his cool as the man got up and approached him. "Billy Batson," the man said. "I have been waiting for you for so long." Billy was terrified of the ancient-looking man and didn't know whether to trust him or not. "What is all of this?", Billy asked. "And how do you know my name?" "I have been searching for a worthy champion for centuries Billy, and you have finally ended my search." The man then held out his staff as to Billy, suggesting him to take it. Billy grabbed the staff and examined it. "Say my name Billy, and the power of the Gods will flow through you." Billy began to ask the man for his name but a voice in his head interrupted him. Billy looked up, and calmly said, "Shazam." 

To be Continued...


Lightning Storm Wikipedia Commons


Author's Note: This story is based on Kunti's interaction with the Sage Durvasa in the Mahabharata. Kunti befriends the sage and he tells her a mantra that allows her to summon any god she wishes. As soon as I read about this I thought about Shazam. If you aren't familiar with Shazam here is a summary of his character and origin: Shazam Origin. I basically retold the Shazam origin in my own words because it already is pretty similar to the interaction between Kunti and Durvasa. Shazam has always been one of my favorite comic book characters because his origin and powers are very unique. 

                        




Comments

  1. Hi Jacob,
    I've never been familiar with Shazam or any of the DC Comics for that matter. Your story has really interested me in getting more accustomed though! I did a quick search of Shazam, and there's a movie form 2019 about him. Anyway, I thought your story flowed really well. You have awesome descriptive language that really makes the reader feel as if they're in the story themself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jacob. I really liked how you started this story by jumping right into the action. It really caught my attention right off the bat and got me hooked. I am glad you were able to find a character you really liked and were able to form a really good story from it. I also liked how you left the story on a "to be continued". I think you did a very good job and I wish you luck as you continue!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Jacob the Entrepreneur

 My name is Jacob and I am a Sophomore majoring in Economics. I'm from the Texas Hill country (a place called Bulverde, just north of San Antonio) however I was born in El Paso. Despite growing up near both the University of Texas and Texas A&M, I am actually a lifelong OU fan. My parents and grandparents were all fans of either of the other two schools, but I held my ground. My grandma would always tell me "you'll probably change your mind several times as you got older", but I knew that I wanted to be a Sooner. Originally, I had planned on majoring in Biology and eventually (hopefully) going to medical school. But my interests rapidly changed over my freshman year at OU. Growing up, I had always been very close to my Dad and I looked up to him in many ways. He was a very hard worker and an entrepreneur. His most successful business was, and is, a custom home company named J Taylor Custom Homes, named after me (also check us out at JTaylorCustomHomes.com ). As I

Comment Wall

  Check out my Portfolio!:     Jacob's Portfolio Pixabay

Week 5 Story: Hanuman's Leap

 Hanuman was having a largely peaceful afternoon surrounded by his fellow monkeys. Having just stopped his chaotic brother Vali from antagonizing Sugriva, he deserved it. Shortly after, Sugriva fetched Hanuman and told him that two strangers were approaching and that he should go check them out to make sure that they aren't coming to cause trouble. He then met Rama and Lakshma who said that they wanted to speak to Sugriva. Thrilled that they weren't dangerous or evil, he carried them on his shoulders to meet Sugriva. Rama and Sugriva agree to help each other and they go off to kill Vati. Later, Sugriva is crowned king of Kishkindha. It was now his turn to hold up his end of the deal. Sugriva gathered Hanuman and the monkeys and sectioned them off into groups. He sent the groups into the four directions to look for Sita and report back. Hanuman went to the south along with Angada, and Jambavan.  Hanuman and the southern search party soon reached the beach. They were all very ups